YOU ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE!
Application Deadline: 25 January 2021
Send your enquiries to: email@example.com
Rise (Real Impact on Society and Environment) is an international showcase of student achievement in sustainability and social innovation. RISE is designed to accelerate the scale and impact of student-led projects by connecting them with a network of experts in academia and industry.
Alongside access to a global network of supporter, teams will have the chance of winning prizes of USD2,000 each to further develop their project.
If you have a voluntary, social enterprise or environmental project that you would like to scale up, develop, and build, then RISE is for you! To find out more about U21 RISE visit the U21 website.
The University of Hong Kong will nominate up to 4 UG student projects, one of which being a cross institution entry, to the RISE 2020 showcase.
- Deadline of Application (Submission of description of project and video): 25 January 2021
- Announcement of projects selected by HKU RISE Mentors to be nominated (i.e. winner of U21 RISE in HKU): 8 February 2021
- Submission of finalized video: 19 March 2021
- Announcement of the 4 winning projects among all U21 institutions (Most Impactful, Most Innovative, Most Collaborative and having the Most Potential) who will receive tailored support package worth USD2,000: April 2021
- Projects may have already applied, or be in receipt of other funding or awards, but these MUST BE DISCLOSED upon entering RISE.
- The video submission to RISE must be an ORIGINAL PIECE OF WORK that is NOT PUBLICLY AVAILABLE ELSEWHERE.
- Video submissions must be the STUDENTS’ OWN WORK.
- Entries may be submitted in any language but ALL MUST INCLUDE ENGLISH SUBTITLES (INCLUDING ENGLISH SUBMISSIONS).
- Video presentations are RECOMMENDED TO BE WITHIN 3-5 MINS’ DURATION.
- VIDEOS OF MORE THAN 5MINS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- File format must be MP4 or .MOV
- By submitting an entry to RISE, students are acknowledging that their ideas and enterprises will be made publicly accessible and share with industry professionals.
- Number of group members: Minimum: 3, Maximum: 7 (details below).
- Your project must directly address at least one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Late submissions will not be entertained.
How to Join
Send us (firstname.lastname@example.org) your video entry with:
- (1) The following information of all members:
- First name:
- Last name:
- Year of Study:
- (2) Name of project
- (3) Description of the project (100-200 words)
- (4) Name and number of SDGs the project is aligned with
Read through the PDF document “Video Submission Guidelines and More” before submitting
Who can center?
Any HKU UG students in a group.
- Number of group members
- Minimum: 3
- Maximum: 7*
- *Where there is a large student group (e.g. a student society), a leadership group of up to 7 students should be identified as the main entrants.
- Please note that although some of you might find that the U21 official website stated that participating projects can be individual or group led, our office would like to keep it as group led only.
You can also enter as a group of students from more than one U21 university.
What sort of projects can be entered?
Your project must directly address at least one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. These aren’t just about environmental action, they cover almost every aspect of environmental and societal development. In practice most non-profit and social innovation projects will already be addressing at least one goal, even if you didn’t realize it!
The project should be at the development stage, not just an idea. There needs to have been some positive actions taken to turn an idea into reality. However, that doesn’t mean it has to be a fully-fledged enterprise or small business – see the image attached for more details. For examples of the type of projects eligible for RISE, check out the RISE 2019 showcase.
What will I gain from entering?
All entrants will:
- Gain experience in creating powerful video project
- Have the opportunity to win one of four USD2,000 for their project
- Be given the chance to network with fellow entrepreneurs
- Receive personalized feedback from the professional HKU RISE Mentors that will help to improve their project
In addition to the above those nominated to the RISE showcase will:
- Be part of a cohort of finalists from across the world
- Take part in a bespoke development package for student entrepreneurs
- Receive a certificate recognizing their achievement as a RISE finalist
- Have the opportunity to receive pledges of support from U21s global network
- Gain feedback on their project from experts in the field
- Become part of an alumni network of global social innovators