Urban Futures Hong Kong
What are the 100 issues shaping Hong Kong's future?
In collaboration with Arup’s Foresight Team, we invite students to participate in this transdisciplinary project to explore emerging issues shaping the future of Hong Kong. The goal is to undertake original research to uncover unique perspectives on Hong Kong’s future while developing key skills in critical thinking and visual communication. Undergraduate students from all disciplines are encouraged to join. No prior experience is required, just an interest in exploring Hong Kong’s future.
Over 8 weeks, students will:
- Attend interactive workshops by Arup’s Foresight team to learn futures thinking concepts and methodologies.
- Conduct desktop research in teams on social, technological, economic, environmental, and policy trends specific to Hong Kong.
- Develop a set of “Urban Futures” cards (20 cards per team) communicating key insights and data on local issues.
- Present research findings and card designs to Arup for professional feedback (15 minutes + 5 minutes Q&A).
Schedule (All sessions are mandatory):
- Workshop 1: Thu 5 Oct 2023, 2-5pm @ Common Core Lounge – Intro to futures thinking
- Workshop 2: Thu, 19 Oct 2023, 2-5pm @ Common Core Lounge – Drivers shaping HK’s future
- Group Mentorship: Week of 30 Oct – Online mentoring from Arup experts
- Final Presentation: Thu, 23 Nov 2023, 2-5pm @ Common Core Lounge – Present card designs and research
Join an imaginative journey into Hong Kong’s future. Develop new skills while collaborating with a global design firm.
The project requires at least 20 hours of total work. If you have any questions, please get in touch with the project coordinator Dr Jack Tsao (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Mr Yannick Lenormand | Easy Asia Foresight Leader
Dr Ricky Tsui, Director | Research