||To increase the capacities of our students for creative problem-solving and global collaboration, both virtual and physical, that produces tangible outcomes around issues of urgent importance.
- From HKU, 10 highly motivated, creative, and curious students from across all the Faculties who have (i) successfully completed at least three Common Core courses with Grade B or above; (ii) obtained a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 3.0 or above; and (iii) are committed to full engagement with the exchange, including insuring availability during the week of Utrecht’s visit (April 6 to April 11, 2020).
- 10 cross-disciplinary students from the Honours College and the Humanities Honours Programme at Utrecht University, Netherlands.
||With their peers in Utrecht, students will co-create transdisciplinary research strands, read together, create an 8-minute video and a public event to share the work and to think about next steps. The projects will be initiated by students and organized around the transdisciplinary concept of the More-Than-Human-City, with the “more,” the “than,” the “human” and the “city” all in need of articulation, elaboration, and exploration.
- One meeting in Semester 1 [December 5, 2019] to begin to get to know one another and brainstorm possible projects and intersections with our Utrecht colleagues.
- Beginning in January, 2020, the group will meet approximately every two weeks, in the early evening, in order to provide the groundwork for collaborative practices to get the research, reading, and project-management process underway
- The virtual collaboration between the two research groups will begin, approximately, in early February.
- Utrecht Students will visit Hong Kong from April 6 to April 11, 2020 and the Hong Kong Students will visit Utrecht from June 1 to June 6, 2020. You must be available for the shared activities during both of these time periods.
- The project will produce a series of tangible outcomes, including:
- An increased capacity for transdisciplinary research, project-management, facilitating seminars, and presenting related activities
- A physical project notebook
- A shared HKU-Utrecht TransDisciplinary Research FaceBook Page
- Public events organized around the topics of the students’ choice, but related to the experience of the More-Than-Human-City as explored and articulated in an 8-minute video.
- You will be asked to write an analytic reflection on the experience, to share the experience with others, and to serve as peer mentors for the following year’s group
- Building collaborative research and friendship networks and social interventions
- This type of transdisciplinary collaborative research will deepen your participatory understanding of the world and the possibilities for your own future work. Participants will receive Certificates of Accomplishment and will be able to share their experience in a number of different venues. You may, for instance, want upon your return to join our on-campus group of Nomadic Transdisciplinary Researchers. In addition, each participant, should the need arise, will receive a letter of recommendation for post-graduate study, jobs, or internships from Professor Gray Kochhar-Lindgren, the Common Core Director and/or Dr Rick Dolphijn, the facilitator from Utrecht.
- Each participant will receive a subsidy of HK$10,000, but will be responsible for all costs including hotel accommodation, airfare, food, additional insurance, visa and in-country costs, etc.
- Arrangements will be made to disburse 70% (HK$ 7,000) of the subsidy prior to departure for Utrecht. The remaining 30% (HK$3,000) will be disbursed upon completion of the entire programme and the submission of a final written reflection. Failure to complete the entire programme shall result in withdrawal and/or reduction of financial subsidies as determined by the Common Core Office.
- All participants are required to stay at the same hostel / hotel during the exchange period in Utrecht. They will be required to make a prepayment to the hotel via the Common Core Office before their departure. [Participants stayed at Stayokay Utrecht Centrum (https://www.stayokay.com/en/hostel/utrecht-centrum#) for the programme in 2018-19. The cost of accommodation for each participant was HK$2,800 for the exchange period.]